from Vermont Debate AKA The Voice of Edwin is the weekly newsletter
of the Edwin Lawrence Debate Union at the University of Vermont, an
endowed co-curricular program which trains students in debating and
sponsors national competition and community events. The newsletter is
published every Tuesday during the school year and infrequently at other
times. Alfred C. Snider is the Director. 802-656-0097 voice, 802-238-8345
mobile, 802-656-4275 fax, firstname.lastname@example.org
email, and http://debate.uvm.edu/ldu.html
| Three scenes from Fall, 2002: Big wins at Rochester, Justin & Helen with Carlos & Leo, Lesley Stahl and Tuna on 60 Minutes set |
"We do not set new records every tournament and every season, but we do make history in every debate -- we make future history."
The Fall, 2002 semester of LDU
debate competition has been memorable and at times spectacular. Highlights
* Nine debate tournaments attended: Georgia State, Rochester, UVM, Capital City Debates, Harvard, West Point, Central Oklahoma, Wake Forest, and Binghamton.
* 38 students have been to competitive debate tournaments, including a record 15 teams at West Point.
* Outreach trips to Poland and Chile.
* Coach Snider interviewed on 60 Minutes (the segment is complete and will be shown, we will let you know)
* Big wins at Rochester and Binghamton.
* Phenomenal showing by the novice debaters.
* Television programs and public debates.
* Outreach to Vermont teachers and help with Burlington HS debate program.
* 389 competitive policy tournament debates during the semester. THAT MEANS 796 HOURS OF DEBATING, OR 32+ DAYS OF SOLID DEBATE!
* Tremendous contributions by alumni like Greta Lockwood, Abigail Trebilcock, Charles Hoag, Matt Sweeney, and Casey Gervais.
The Spring, 2003 semester looks
equally challenging for the LDU. Highlights will hopefully include:
* Nine tournaments: William Jewell, UMKC, Belgrade, Cornell, Western Washington, Kansas, East CEDA Champs. Towson, CEDA Nats (Phoenix).
* Hopefully funds can be raised for an extra national varsity tournament and qualifiers for the NDT in Atlanta.
* Our first international parliamentary debate tournament in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.
* Outreach trips to Yugoslavia, Slovenia, and China.
* A crop of brand new debaters recruited when school starts in January.
* Television programs and public debates.
* Internet debates against distant opponents.
* Directing the Vermont state high school debate championships.
* New breakthroughs in argumentation and public discourse.
The LDU wants to thank everyone who supports our work, and especially the parents of our debaters, who made it all possible!
Annalei McGreevey '97 dropped by the debate office to show off the new member of her family. Now two months old Kavika was vocal and alert. Annalei and her husband, David, have been living in the northeast kingdom of Vermont and have purchased their own tract of land, are now finishing their house there and hope to move in next month. Annalei will be returning to work at a community planning organization in her region within a few weeks.
Annalei was a member of the team that was third at CEDA Nationals in 1996 and was an outstanding debater on all levels. She took a semester off to work on a community empowerment project in Mexico on sustainable agriculture.
Her email address is email@example.com
Resolved that the United States Federal Government should ratify or accede to, and implement, one or more of the following: The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty; The Kyoto Protocol; The Rome Statute on the International Criminal Court; The Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights aiming at the Abolition of the Death Penalty; The treaty between the United States of America and the Russian federation on Strategic Offensive Reductions, if not ratified by the United States.
TIME TO THINK ABOUT
THE KC SWING!
KC SWING INFO
ARRIVE 12/26 FOR PREP
ARGUMENTS DUE NIGHT OF 12/26
PREP ENDS AFTERNOON OF 12/31
DEPART FOR KC 1/1
ARRIVE KC 1/2
WILLIAM JEWELL TOURNAMENT 1/3-5
DINNER PROVIDED BY SUPPORTER GREG TURNER 1/5
UMKC TOURNAMENT 1/6-8
LEAVE KC 1/8
ARRIVE BACK IN BURLINGTON 1/10
Fairfield Inn, Liberty, MO
THOSE GOING ON THE SWING ARE EXPECTED TO PRODUCE A NEW ARGUMENT BEFORE SWING PREP BEGINS!
Debaters who wish to go: Colin Kern, Carlos Varela, Eric Mates, Lindsey Melander, Kayce Massey, Lana Langsweirdt, Jillian Marty, Brian Cole, Edwin Owusu, Sheila Limprevil and Michael Malone. Coaches include Morgan, Parmett, Miller, Egizi, Snider.
LDU travel schedule
for Spring, 2003:
January, 6-8 UMKC, 3-5 William Jewell, 10-12 Belgrade (Yugoslavia) Open
February, 1-2 Cornell, 7-9 Western Washington, 21-23 Kansas, 2/28-3/2 East Regionals/D8 at UVM
March, 14-16 Towson, 20-24 CEDA Nationals, AZ
April, 3-7 NDT, GA
May, TBA Tercer Torneo Hispanoamericano de Debate in Honduras
is our research director.
THE KC SWING ARGUMENT LIST IS POSTED IN THE OFFICE! ALL ARGUMENTS MUST BE FINISHED BY EVENING OF 12/26!
UVM Debate was #9 in both major national polls for debate in the USA for the 2001-2002 season.
Email us !