North America Debate Academy 2012 Motions
These are the motions we used for our drills, exercises and practice debates.
THBT = This House believes that…
THW = This House would…
1. THBT Examinations are not a true test of knowledge. Or THBT TESTING IS THE ENEMY OF LEARNING
2. THW Ban international adoption.
3. THW Ban single sex schools
4. THBT Crimes committed by police should be punished more severely.
5. This house would enforce a no-fly zone over Syria.
6. THBT We should not give money to beggars.
7. THW Legalize multi-partner marriages for both men and women
8. THBT The UN should hire Private Military Contractors for its military operations.
9. THW Require politicians to send their children to public schools.
10. THW implement a one child policy in countries where the average age is very low.
11. THW Allow wildlife refuges to sell valuable animal parts.
13. THBT African Union states should stop cooperating with the ICC.
14. THW recognize that animals have some rights.
15. Voting should be obligatory.
16. We should lower the voting age to 16.
17. Representative democracy has failed us.
18. Invalidate any election result with a turnout below 70%
19. Allow minors who pass a test on civics to vote
20. Parents should have access to their children's social networking sites.
21. This house believes that zoos should be eliminated
22. This house believes that elective cosmetic surgery should be banned
23. This house believes that doctors should never lie to their patients, including for their own good
24. Allow companies to refuse hiring smokers
25. This house believes that people sentenced to life imprisonment should be allowed to choose the death penalty instead
26. Criminalize the payment of ransom
27. Ban boxing
28. Parents should not be allowed to hit children
29. Have harsher sentences for celebrity criminals
30. Public money should not be used to finance art
31. We should be willing to negotiate with terrorists
32. Nationalism is a virtue
33. Child abusers should not be allowed to have more children
34. Every citizen should be provided with internet access
35. We should lower the voting age to 16.
36. E-elections would increase the participation of youth.
37. The democratic potential of the Internet is overvalued.
38. There would be no Arabic spring without the Internet.
39. A conscious consumer does more than a voter to make the world a better place.
40. Children should be excluded from any religion until adulthood
41. Offer immediate EU candidate status to North African states on the precondition of democratic transition
42. We support parents who secretly install spyware on their children’s electronic devices.
43. Install condom vending machines in all high schools.
44. The exploration and development of outer space should be done by an international organization.
45. We should not force children to sing the national anthem in schools
46. Require large online social networks to be controlled democratically by their users.
47. Allow minors who pass a test on civics to vote
48. This house would bring back death penalty.
49. This house would prohibit the media from using software to cosmetically improve an individual’s appearance.
50. This house would allow the creation of donor siblings.
51. This house believes that hacking is an acceptable form of protest against large corporations.
52. This house believes that America and the EU should cease all financial, political and military support to both Israel and the Palestinian Authority until they reach a peace agreement.
53. This house would legally require priests to report all serious crimes that they hear of in confessions.
54. This house would ban all EU arms companies from selling arms outside the EU
55. This house would require persons who work in the media to wait four years before running for public office or working for the government
56. This house believes that the West should promise preferential economic and political cooperation to Arab democracies that adopt secular constitutions.
57. This house believes that all countries have the right to possess nuclear weapons
58. This house would authorize nudism on beaches and in public pools
59. Romantic relationships between university instructors and their students should be illegal.
60. The state should prohibit all items of clothing that cover the face.
61. This house believes in the universal right to bear arms
62. Ban all religious involvement in schools
63. European governments should pay parents to have children.
64. Supports indigenous persons convicted of a crime being sentenced by their community and not the courts
65. Women should get an equal position in war with men
66. All citizens ought to perform a period of national service
67. High school students' right to confidentiality is of greater value than their parents' right to know.
68. THW broadcast executions.
69. Marriage is an outdated concept